Barberino Val d'Elsa
Barbarino Val d'Elsa is still encircled by its old fortified walls, further strengthened in 1203 by a Roman (or Sienese) gate. After being besieged and conquered by Arrigo VII, it became a vicarship (1313). Worthy of note is the Palazzo Pretorio with the church of S. Bartolommeo beside it. The ex Pilgrim's Hostel contains exhibits found at Petrognano (the site of ancient Semifonte, destroyed by the Florentines in 1202) and from Etruscan settlements at S. Martino. The Chapel of San Michele, by Santi di Tito, stands today on the site of Semifonte (about 4 kms. from the town) and is interesting because its cupola is a replica in miniature of that of Santa Maria del Fiore in Florence.