The Trattoria "Mamma Gina", one of the city's reknowned typical trattorias,
can be found right in the heart of mediaeval Florence, in historic Borgo San Jacopo
on the way to the Ponte Vecchio.|
Housed in a 15th century palace, it first opened in the early 1950's when Signora Gina started cooking meals for the workmen dredging sand from the Arno for use in the many building sites involved in repairing the damage left by the last war.
|It has continued to offer this traditional style of cooking, based on genuine, simple and refined dishes, ever since then: the old Tuscan cooking of the past. Many famous people from the Italian and international political, cultural and theatrical history are regular diners here.|